Re: [homeschoolhub] State Bill on Homeschooling Update Friday April 17th

 

Jenny,

I don't think you need to fear that local homeschoolers will readily accept an assault like this.  Just because I let the school system use some of my tax dollars to pay for my kids to take some classes in the community does not mean I am not an independent homeschooler.  The school does not dictate my curriculum, my philosophy, or my methods of educating my children.  I have no obligation to public school authorities, nor have I ceded ANY of my rights to raise my children as I see fit to the state.

While not every homeschooler in the area is likely to speak out or mobilize, I think many will.  As a parent who has enrolled her son in the partnerships with local schools for many years, I can say Chang's proposal seems over-the-top drastic to me.  I will write/call/visit/speak out as much as necessary to stop any bill like this.

--Andrea

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 8:59 AM, sevensieks@yahoo.com [homeschoolhub] <homeschoolhub@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

On this matter, we welcome calls no matter what state you are in...Tell Stephanie Chang (313) 451-3597 and your own house rep. to pursue a more comprehensive approach to address the current challenges in the state's social service and criminal justice system, not assume all homeschoolers will abuse their children unless they are controlled by state and federal authorities. INCH is encouraging everyone to pray as well. 


I will encourage anyone reading this to consider a sober assessment on our area's readiness to mobilize. The legislators in Lansing have been wanting to bring MI homeschoolers in line for years and bills like these are always just a breath away.

My heartfelt concern, coming from PA where the state regulates most independent families out of existence is this : are our Southwest MI homeschooling groups healthy and independent enough of the government schools to affect any push back? 

Chang's proposed requirements may not seem very drastic to many area homeschoolers who have already signed up under government school oversights and our will, ability and teamwork to stand against these actions weakens the more we are voluntarily under obligation to school authorities. 

I am deeply concerned and believe it is time to rebuild the independent groups that keep homeschooling strong and healthy in our communities.

Jenny Siek



__._,_.___

Posted by: Andrea B <andreamom001@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment