[homeschoolhub] Re: Exploring Homeschooling

 

Hey there, Jen!

I have read through several, although not all, of the posts. If you are up for some philosophy/theory I would also recommend you reading some John Taylor Gatto books- JT Gatto was New York city (and NY state) "Teacher of the Year"- He has come to endorse parent-led learning. His experience, knowledge and philosophy developed from years working in the ps system is fascinating. I am not promising you will agree with everything he writes but his writing will definitely help you define your own educational philosophy. You can find all his books on Amazon- I'd recommend starting with either "Dumbing Us Down..." or "The History of American Education..." (both titles are longer- can't put my finger on them at the moment. 

Other good reads include John Holt, a father of 'unschooling' (even if you don't unschool you will probably find some nuggets that will help you form your own ideas) . Of course Maria Montessori books sound right up your alley and if you send me your address I will send you a copy of my own book "Stories for the Homeschool Heart"- (no charge- I have a couple extra laying around which I've set aside for young moms like you who are thinking about hsing :) ) The stories are of faith, hope and inspiration of and about homeschooling families- many moms share their stories- it's an easy read- and we're finished with our first printing so it's temporarily unavailable to buy anyway-  I agree with the other posts that say your sweet 4yo needs nothing more than lots of story time, child led activities and  YOU! :) 

God bless - and hope that helps- 

Theresa Thomas
Mom of 9 
Family Columnist and author



Do you know a stay at home mom who could use some inspiration? Please pass along "Stay at Home Mom Blues"  here:  http://www.integratedcatholiclife.org/2012/01/thomas-stay-at-home-mom-blues/
--- In homeschoolhub@yahoogroups.com, Ecological Babies LLC <ecologicalbabies@...> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> I'm currently exploring the idea to do homeschooling for my 4 year old, as
> her current situation at Countryside Montessori doesn't seem to be working
> out. I'm scared to death about taking this leap, since it stems out of a
> frustrating experience. My daughter, very spirited in nature, is running
> circles around her teacher and they can't seem to get it under control. As
> a result, I'm getting calls and am feeling like a failure for her choices.
>
> I want her to be in an environment that focuses on her positive attributes
> and helps her to have fun. Yet at the same time, she needs structure and
> routine. I'm just not sure I am able to create this, especially since I've
> really come down hard on her for all the negative reports at school.
>
> So, I think my basic questions are: "How did you know you were up for this
> responsibility" and "Do you think homeschooling is a good fit for my
> daughter (even though you don't know her) or would another preschool help
> her blossom and thrive better?"
>
> I'd love any input.
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Humbled,
>
> Jen
>
> --
> *Join us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/ecologicalbabiesllc> for
> great discussions, new updates & specials!*
>
> Ecological Babies LLC
> 51793 Whitestable Lane
> South Bend, Indiana 46637
> www.ecologicalbabies.com
> 574.275.1235
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment