Re: [homeschoolhub] Exploring Homeschooling

 

Hello, Jen,

I feel for you.  You are not a failure!  Your daughter sounds wonderful.  It is great to be spirited!

Homeschooling may be a good choice.

Bricks-and-mortar school may still be a good choice if you find the right place.

My older daughter is spirited as well.  She started preschool when she was 4 and turned 5 in September of that year.  She went to First English Lutheran Nursery School, and she thrived there.  It was an amazing experience for her.  It was there that I first read the book "Raising Your Spirited Child."  The atmosphere was loving, positive, and fun.  They were the first school in the area to be NAEYC accredited (National Association for the Education of Young Children), and they helped at least one other area preschool gain accreditation.  Everything is age appropriate there.  Lots of the right kinds of learning goes on, and it is all play-based.  They have indoor gross-motor playtime (in a big gym with tricycles, floor mats, balls, etc.) and outdoor playtime every day (except if there is a lot of snow--they still go outside, but not as often).  They helped the children master social skills.  The teachers were without exception kind and loving with the children.  My daughters loved going there. 

FYI--the school is on Ireland Road, in Mishawaka, near Bremen Highway and Meijers.  Children of all faiths are welcome there.  At the time my daughters were there, some children went to preschool at First English and then homeschooled starting in kindergarten.

I am not making a recommendation on whether homeschooling or traditional schooling is better for your family; I'm just letting you know that if you want the option of regular school, you might consider First English.  

My children are now 10 and 12 years old.  The older one is homeschooled and the younger one is in Catholic school in the daytime and then afterschooled. 

Please feel free to contact me if you want to talk about any of this or about spirited children in general.

Your daughter sounds great, and I am sure that both of you are doing a great job!

Best regards,
Ann Serianni



From: Ecological Babies LLC <ecologicalbabies@gmail.com>
To: homeschoolhub@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:15 AM
Subject: [homeschoolhub] Exploring Homeschooling



Hey all,

I'm currently exploring the idea to do homeschooling for my 4 year old, as her current situation at Countryside Montessori doesn't seem to be working out.  I'm scared to death about taking this leap, since it stems out of a frustrating experience.  My daughter, very spirited in nature, is running circles around her teacher and they can't seem to get it under control.  As a result, I'm getting calls and am feeling like a failure for her choices.  

I want her to be in an environment that focuses on her positive attributes and helps her to have fun.  Yet at the same time, she needs structure and routine.  I'm just not sure I am able to create this, especially since I've really come down hard on her for all the negative reports at school.

So, I think my basic questions are: "How did you know you were up for this responsibility" and "Do you think homeschooling is a good fit for my daughter (even though you don't know her) or would another preschool help her blossom and thrive better?"

I'd love any input.

Thanks so much!

Humbled,

Jen

--
*Join us on Facebook for great discussions, new updates & specials!*

Ecological Babies LLC
51793 Whitestable Lane
South Bend, Indiana 46637
www.ecologicalbabies.com
574.275.1235







__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment